Rash / Hives Come and Go

06/22/2011

Question:

My 6 year old Grandaughter has a full body rash for 3 days. The rash completely disappears and then completely reappears (reappearing mostly at night). Not so much bumps but patches in different shapes. Only discomfort is itchy. ER Doctor isn`t sure but put her on Benadryl. We have a pond but other kids weren`t affected. We have chickens, dogs, cat, live in the country. Tried to think of everything that she came in contact with on Tuesday. What she ate, etc. Can`t come up with anything that would cause it. Plan on taking her to a dermatologist but wanted to know what you think?

Answer:

Sounds like hives or acute urticaria because of the way the lesions are described and that it completely disappears then reappears. There are many potential triggers of acute urticaria including food, medications, etc. Antihistamines usually control the eruption. I would still advise seeing a dermatologist who can evaluate whether it is in fact hives and recommend the best management approach. Allergy tests may or may not needed. If this proves to be a transient/temporary episode, further work up may not be necessary.

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center