Thyroid Diseases

Thyroid

08/01/2011

Question:

My thyroid test result says that my TSH level is 6.7 and my t4 and t3 is in normal range. I want to ask if I need to take medicine for few weeks or for life long?  My doctor saying I don`t need medicine, but I feel depression, cold and fatigue. Can you advise me please? Thank you.

Answer:

It is possible, but not likely, that your symptoms are related to this minimal abnormality in your thyroid blood tests. It would be reasonable to give you some thyroid hormone for a few months to see if you felt any better. If you didn't feel any better then I would stop it and just recheck your blood tests every 6 months or so to see if they get worse. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you felt exactly the same on thyroid pills as you do now. I suspect that your symptoms are due to something else and not your thyroid.

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE