Eye and Vision Care

Benign Eye Growth

07/01/2011

Question:

For two years I`ve had a small sac with creamy white bumps develop in both eyes on the eye surface on the inside corner of my eyes. They have not changed in size or appearence. I just would like to know how to make them go away. Thank you.

Answer:

Thank you for your question. Some of the more common growths on the front part of the eye include pinguecula and conjunctival cysts. A conjunctival cyst is a fluid-filled sac located on the conjunctiva (the conjunctiva is the membrane that covers the white part of the eye as well as the inner part of the eyelids). A pinguecula is an abnormal growth of the ocular tissue, usually in response to UV exposure/sunlight.

Both of these conditions are common and usually do not require any treatment. However, you may want to schedule an appointment with your eye doctor so he or she may thoroughly assess your condition, offer a diagnosis and recommend a possible treatment and management plan. If you do experience any pain, redness, irritation or decrease in vision, please schedule an appointment with your eye doctor immediately.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry