Pressure in Tooth During Root Canal

07/01/2011

Question:

2 months ago or so i started having an odd pain above tooth #10, odd because that tooth is fake and on a bridge. Felt like when you get your braces tightened. Went to the dentist and he said my front tooth #9 was dead. Wasn`t in pain and was antibiotics for something else so he said we could wait. 2 days later I called and said I wanted to start treatment for the root canal because it was becoming painful. I was placed on tetracycline (b/c I was already on a tetracycline based antibiotic) and after 2 days I had to go back to the dentist for him to place a hole in my tooth to relieve the pressure. He wanted an endodonist to llok at my tooth because he found a nodge about 3/4 of the way up my root. Endodonist said he didnt see anything wrong, tooth was dead but healthy, and sent me back to my dentist to finish the root canal. I have had the medicine put in my tooth 4 times now, everytime my tooth fills with pressure, from 2 days and sometimes in just a few hours. I have had no pus or abyss in this tooth. Today (after having the medicine removed for the 4th time) I did have slight amount of blood. I have done Tetracycline for 1 week, penicillin for a week and clyndamincin 2 two weeks, with the 2nd week at 330 mg 4x a day and taking advil to prevent any swelling. I will be starting a Z-pak tomorrow, but cant seem to figure out why the tooth keeps filling with pressure, any advice would be great

Answer:

Usually, once a dentist refers a patient to an endodontist, the endodontist completes the treatment and follow-up. I would recommend that you complete your care with an endodontist who is trained to deal with complex situations.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics