Pharmacy and Medications

About Mixing Medications

07/14/2011

Question:

just want to make sure taking these medications my doctor gave me are ok.. I take voltaren 75mg , prozac 40mg, diovan hct 160 - 12.5 and now predizone 1 mg. are these all ok to take the new one that is added is the predizone

Answer:

Taking Voltaren, Prozac, Diovan HCT, and prednisone are OK to take and no significant drug-drug interactions have been documented. You are fine being on all four of these medications at the same time.
Some other information that maybe helpful for you to know is that it is recommended to avoid alcohol for 3 of your medications: Voltaren, Prozac and prednisone. Another thing to note is that you can prevent stomach upset from the prednisone and Voltaren, if you take them with food or after a meal.

Also, if you are on the Voltaren you will want to avoid aspirin or aspirin containing products, along with things like Advil or Motrin. Taking Voltaren with the aspirin, aspirin containing products, Advil or Motrin can increase side effects since they all act similarly in your body. Take your medications as instructed by your doctor. If you have any questions you can contact your local pharmacist.     

Answer submitted by Mohammed Ansari, PharmD Candidate, Ohio State University - Graduation 2012

Go to the Pharmacy and Medications health topic, where you can:

David Baker, PharmD, DABAT
Formerly, Clinical Assistant Professor of Pharmacy