Women's Health

Sr Citizen & Sexuality

07/15/2011

Question:

I am a sr citizen who has not been sexually active in over 2 decades, since my divorce. I have absolutely no desire to become sexually active again. To be totally honest, I never really liked sex even when I was married. I do kind of miss the companionship of living as part of a family (I live alone) but I know if I were to get involved with anybody they would expect sex to be part of it, and I just plain am not interested. Is there something wrong with me?

Answer:

There is nothing wrong with you. Although many people are sexually active well into late life, there are also many who are not.  If you wish to become "involved" with someone, you should go for it. But you may also want to be candid about your desire for companionship and not sex.  Other people are lonely too, and may want companionship without sex. You may want to start by becoming involved (socially) at a senior center, and see what happens. Good luck!

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Linda A Bernhard, PhD, RN Linda A Bernhard, PhD, RN
Associate Professor Emeritus