COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Behavior of Advanced COPD Patient

09/20/2011

Question:

My dad has asthma and emphysema and is pretty well confined to his bedroom. He is on a nebulizer and oxygen. The last few weeks his behavior has become very bizarre. He has begun talking incessently and saying terrible things. He also threatens to throw things and has what I would call tantrums. He may be doing some hallucinating. This is not normal behavior for him. He isn`t on any new medications and his doctor has reviewed his meds and doesn`t believe they are the problem. Is this part of the advanced stage of copd or is it related to lack of oxygen?

Answer:

COPD patients do not typically exhibit this type of behavior; there might be other reasons for his mood swings and behavior change. You may wish to speak to your father's physician about these behaviors.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Mahasti   Rittinger, RRT Mahasti Rittinger, RRT
Clinical Program Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep