Face and Jaw Surgery

Treatment of Torus Mandibularis

11/02/2011

Question:

I have torus mandibularis and on one side the bone has broken through the skin. The area is quite painful, especially to touch and the boney area rubs on my tongue. and I have had to modify my diet accordingly.I attended an oral surgeon who filed down the boney area that had broken through and put two sutures in. (whilst in the chair). The sutures came out in 2 days and now, a week and a half later I still have boney area exposed like before. I have been told it will eventually cover and heal. Should I be asking a second opinion as this has now been an issue for me for 4 weeks and I feel like it is no better than before and remains painful.

Answer:

If the area of the broken mucosa does not heal in the next few weeks, you may want to consider having the torus removed as opposed to filing it down. Nothing wrong in asking a second opinion.

Go to the Face and Jaw Surgery health topic, where you can:

Deepak  Krishnan, DDS Deepak Krishnan, DDS
Assistant Professor of Clinical Surgery