COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

COPD

09/11/2011

Question:

My Mother was diagnosed with COPD 7 yrs ago. She has pnenmonia once every year. Is on 2 LPM 02 via N/C as needed but recently needs it constantly. Shes 72 Y/O and has been hurting around her sternum area. She said it feels like it causes her to have shortness of breath and is pushing up on her diaphram. Complains about it being tender to touch. What could this possibly be?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. Although it is neither possible nor appropriate for me to provide a definitive diagnosis in an online forum such as this, generally speaking, substernal chest pain can have many causes including heart disease, acid reflux disease, pleurisy, and inflammation in the rib/sternum joint among many others. Please discuss these matters with your mother's health care provider.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Michael E Ezzie, MD Michael E Ezzie, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep