Lung diseases

Asymmetrical Bilateral Hemidiaphragm

09/20/2011

Question:

A recent xray indicated my hemidiaphragm to be asymmetrical. I am wondering what may cause this? The reason for the xray was severe abdominal pain. It was determined that there was a back-up of stool which looked like it was pushing against the diaphragm although no one told me at that time. I can not say that I have eliminated the amount they said was there. What problems can this cause? Another doctor noticed the diaphragm. Could it be this? Also, in June I had a bad fall onto a rock from a tree branch. Could this have done something? I have been having sciatic pain radiating down to my knee on the right side which can originate from the tailbone.

Answer:

Asymmetry of the hemidiaphragm is fairly common and non-specific. It may be from diaphragm problems or abdominal problems. It almost always does not cause symptoms.

Go to the Lung diseases health topic, where you can:

Jeff E Weiland, MD Jeff E Weiland, MD
Associate Professor - Clinical
OSU Asthma Center