Eye and Vision Care

Inflammation of Optic Nerve

I`ve had a sudden blurred vision in my right eye and was tested by an Optometrist. She indicated that I had inflammation of the Optic Nerve and it was probably (NAION). I`ve been reading a lot about NAION and have an appointment scheduled with an Neuro-Ophthalmologist. The appointment is not for another 2 weeks. I`m just wondering if an inflammation of the Optic Nerve and the associated blurred vision can something less serious, where the inflammation reduces and the vision is restored?

There are multiple inflammatory conditions that can affect the optic nerve of an eye. Typically a non-arteritic ischemic optic neuropathy (NAION) will occur around 55-70 years of age and is associated with permanent damage to the optic nerve.

Optic neuritis is a condition in which an affected individual will have reduced vision during the event, but the inflammation will subside and visual function will return to a level that may be somewhat close to what it had been. This condition tends to have a relationship with multiple sclerosis (MS).

Since I do not have your demographic information is difficult to say which condition you may have, however, since your optometrist diagnosed NAION I suspect you will unfortunately have permanent vision loss in the affected eye.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Aaron  Zimmerman, OD, MS Aaron Zimmerman, OD, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry