Mouth Diseases

Burning Mouth Syndrome

09/27/2011

Question:

I have a recurring problem with burning mouth pain. I had this problem about 6 to 7 years ago and the Clonazepam finally made the pain dormant. After a recent injection for pain during a tooth filling the problem returned. I have been on the Clonazepam, .5mg, twice daily for two weeks with some relief.

When I stop the medication the pain and metallic taste come back. Is there any new treatment for my problem? I am a 73 year old male and in very good health.

Answer:

Unfortunately, clonazepam may be the best medication we have to manage this problem, and for many people, the treatment only allows them to tolerate the burning mouth syndrome, but it doesn't "cure" it.

Burning mouth syndrome is a very annoying, common, oral sensory neuropathy, and if the clonazepam helps you tolerate the problem without significant side-effects, I see no reason to stop using it.

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology