Pharmacy and Medications

namenda

10/20/2011

Question:

My dad has parkinson`s disease and has trouble with balance and has fallen several times. He told the doctor this and was put on namenda. Everything I read about namenda mentions dementia. My dad does not have dementia, in fact his mind works very well. Is namenda sometimes used for motor issues in parkinson`s? Thank you for your time.

Answer:

Thank you for contacting NetWellness.

Namenda® (memantine) is a medication which is a CNS agent or more specifically an N-Methyl-D-Asparate Receptor Antagonist (NMDA) that binds to the NMDA receptors. Namenda® has been used in Parkinson's Disease (PD) patients to treat PD dementia but it has also been studied and found to decrease PD motor symptoms most especially tremors.

PD has traditionally been considered a motor system disorder. It is now seen as a complex disorder with many differing features that include non-motor developments in addition to its movement symptoms. Some of the non-motor symptoms include cognitive dysfunction and dementia, psychosis and hallucinations, mood disorders including depression, anxiety, and apathy, sleep disturbances, fatigue, alterations in smell, pain and other sense changes. Studies have shown that 97% of persons with PD report non-motor systems. Psychosis and dementia are the most commonly reported non motor symptoms.

PD dementia presents differently than patients with Alzheimer's disease. PD dementia symptoms can be seen as problems with decision making, multi-tasking, altered personality, retrieval of memories problems, and problems with the visual perception of the special relationship to articles.

Go to the Pharmacy and Medications health topic, where you can:

Sarah Hudson-DiSalle, PharmD, RPh
Specialty Practice Pharmacist of Outpatient Pharmacy