Spine and Back Health

Spinal Fluid Problem On MRI

What is it called, when you have a pocket, or pouch, of fluid on your spinal cord? I was only told that one showed up, on a cervical spine MRI that I had done a while ago. The doctor that I had at the time said that it was likely caused by some type of impact. Are these dangerous at all?

Hello, thank you for your question. Unfortunately, I can't answer it with the information you have provided. It is most likely that you are referring to either a syrinx (also called "syringomyelia"), or possibly an arachnoid cyst. These are very different problems with very different levels of danger. Without knowing exactly what you have, I can't advise you about what caused it or whether it could be dangerous. Also, if you haven't seen a specialist about this (either a neurologist or a spine specialist), you probably should. They could answer your questions more accurately. Good luck and good health.

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery