Eye and Vision Care

Eye Color Change Caused By X-Ray Radiation

11/17/2011

Question:

If radiation from an x-ray was to come into contact with the eye of a person who has suffered damage to the iris or a discoloration of the iris in the past ,could the radiation some how cause more damage to the iris and cause more color change by turning the color darker or lighter ,basically can x-ray radiation contribute to iris color change or iris discoloration when it comes into contact with the eye? thank you

Answer:

Interesting question.

It, of course, would depend upon the exposure time and the intensity of the radiation.

I'm not an expert in radiation effects on the eye. But from what I know, it would be more likely that retinal effects in the back of your eye would cause more damage than iris effects in the front part. In the visible-light portion of the electro-magnetic spectrum (such as sunlight), radiation has been shown to cause keratitis ("corneal sunburn") and permanent loss of central vision (solar retinopathy).

I'd recommend that you see your optometrist or ophthalmologist if you notice either one of these symptoms.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry
College of Optometry