Lung diseases

Asthma /Thick Mucus

10/28/2011

Question:

i am 76 years old male having chronic asthama since childhood.during change of seasons, i develop congestion of my chest due to cold & cough. during this period ordinary medicine like deriphyline/unnicontin and sero flow do not give relief. please tell me what medicine will help me and precaution i have to take.

Answer:

It is common for patients with asthma to experience worsening of symptoms at the times of season changes, often related to environmental allergies.

Although it is beyond the scope of this forum to provide specific treatment recommendations, I would suggest you talk with your asthma care provider about increasing your asthma therapy to include maximal doses of inhaled corticosteroids (in the Seroflo), and discussing other options that would treat both allergies and asthma if appropriate. Therapies to discuss would include montelukast, omalizumab, and complete evolution for allergies.

Go to the Lung diseases health topic, where you can:

Jennifer  McCallister, MD Jennifer McCallister, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep