Eye and Vision Care

Stye Removed

11/07/2011

Question:

Hi just read ur article on stye removal. Well heres my story: :) So i had a stye on my lower eyelid for about 4 months!!! Yehh i knoww:( Well after taking antibiotics and applying them too. It still didnt go away:( Sooo i thought of getting it removed. Which i did yesterday!! So today the dr Removed my band aid. Gave me some painkillers cuz it hurt! And ointment to apply The problem is all is cleaned from the inside. But the bump outside is still there!!!! The dr said it`ll take about 5-7 days to vanish so u keep doing the hot compresses and applying the ointment. I know its only the second day since i got it operated but its frustrating! Why didnt the bump go??!! Plz helpp. Plus should i not use my laptop or watch alot of tv till its been completly cured?

Answer:

Without examining you and knowing more about your medical history, I obviously cannot advise you on what to do or not to do following a surgical procedure. Those questions must be answered by your own eye doctor.

But here's one possible explanation for your symptoms:

You may have had a chalazion (sha-LA-zee-on) in your eyelid rather than a stye. The common treatment for these lid lesions are topical antibiotics, warm compresses, and lid massage. However, if they are persistent for 2-3 months, then surgery is the next step.

As with all surgeries, there is usually some pain, swelling, and redness around the area that was operated. So 5-7 days is not an unusual length of time for these minor complications to resolve.

I recommend that you fully comply with your doctor's post-op treatment and to keep your follow-up appointment with him. Using your laptop and/or watching TV will have no effect on how well or how soon your eyelid heals.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry
College of Optometry