Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Coincidence of Nervous Tics and Proteinuria
Odd question, I know, but both of my teens (boys) developed proteinuria and nervous (motor) tics at the same time that they were going thru BIG teen growth spurts. Do you know of any conditions at all that might link these things? Nothing jumps out at the docs, but I`m still racking my brain for an explanation for why these things happened concurrently for BOTH boys. I feel like we`re all overlooking something, but I can`t think of anything else to have checked!
I did check with our pediatric renal consultant, and neither he nor I can think of any disorders that tie the two problems together.
If you could provide a little more info, we might be able to look into this more.
- How much proteinuria do they have (in milligrams per day)?
- What kind of tics are they?
- Are either the tics or proteinuria getting worse?
- Does either have an abnormal serum creatinine?
- Are there any other physical signs, such as a facial rash, or spots on the skin?
- Has either had a kidney ultrasound exam?
Let me know if you can supply more info, and we'll continue to think about this!
Mildred Lam, MD
Associate Professor of Medicine
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University