Dental and Oral Health Center

Tooth Pulled, Piece of Silver Point Remains

11/17/2011

Question:

I had a root canal with silver point filling done about 30 years ago, had no problems until the tooth was extracted 5 yrs ago due to internal resorbtion. Panoramic xray 3 years ago showed what looks like a piece of metal deep in my lower jaw, shaped like tip of the filling and now causes intermittent pain with nausea. My regular dentist says it shouldn`t cause any pain.....and he doubts it has anything to do with the root canal because it is so deep in the jaw. It is also the area right next to where my lower partial sits so it is constantly irritated, and I have a habit of bracing my tongue against the tooth on the end (next to where it was) almost as if I am "protecting" the area. I was thinking instead of an endodontist that perhaps I could get a copy of the panoramic xray, as my insurance will only pay for one every five years, and make an appointment with an oral surgeon. It seems like whatever it is it does not belong there and if it is metal could it be leaching into my system and that is why I feel sick/nausea at times with the pain? Thank you so much!

Answer:

It is very unlikely that you would be having symptoms of nausea secondary to root canal filling material in your jaw. If you would feel more comfortable, you can seek a consult by an oral surgeon.

Please see similar previously answered questions:

Toxicity of Root Canal
Root Canals and Autoimmune Disorders
Infection in Root Canal  

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics