Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Lung diseases

Industrial Strength Bleach Fumes



i accidentally sprayed industrial strength bleach on my windows 4 days ago(picked up the wrong bottle) and now my whole apartment smells with bleach fumes. which is bothering my allergy induced asthma. i have been keeping the windows down trying to air every thing out but it doesnt seem to be clearing out! any suggestions on what i can do to make it clear out quicker? how long do you think the fumes could last up to? thx


One thing you can do is use vinegar on the windows to neutralize the basic (in a chemical sense) chlorine bleach. Let the vinegar sit for a while and then wash with water. Whatever you do, DO NOT use ammonia (it could be lethal).

For more information:

Go to the Lung diseases health topic, where you can:

Response by:

J Mac Crawford, PhD, RN J Mac Crawford, PhD, RN
Clinical Associate Professor of Environmental Health Sciences
College of Public Health
The Ohio State University