Root Canal Dizziness - Taste Off

12/22/2011

Question:

12/08/11 had root canal on wisdom tooth on left upper. Pain has resolved almost immediately but have developed dizziness. Was put on penicillin prior to procedure to be finished out post. Finished all but 2 tabs penicillin thinking it might be that. Only take synthroid and lisinopril and certain vitamins, so doesn`t seem to be interaction. Is there a nerve in that area that might have been affected? Previous to procedure had pain that radiated back to ear and up side of face which I felt was irritating sinuses. Tooth previously had crown.

Answer:

Although the onset of your dizziness was following the root canal procedure, based on the information provided, it is unlikely that the dizziness you have been experiencing is related to the root canal procedure itself. It is common for patients to experience dizziness immediately following dental treatment, and it is most often related to orthostatic hypotension (standing up too quickly after laying back in the dental chair for some time). It is rare for this dizziness to persist, and I have never personally had a patient experience prolonged dizziness following root canal treatment.

There are a variety of physical causes of dizziness. I recommend you consult your physician and describe the symptoms you have been having in more detail. Your physician can more thoroughly evaluate your physical condition, medications, etc. and determine a reason why you have had these symptoms.

Thank you for your question.

Sara Fowler, DMD, MS
Clinical Instructor of Endodontics