Newborn and Infant Care

Penicillin allergy,antibiotics, breastfeeding

10/13/1997

Question:

I am currently breastfeeding a 6 month-old. Recently I had mastitis (a breast infection). I have a penecillin allergy and the physician who saw me did not know which antibiotic to prescribe so that I could

keep breastfeeding. Which antibiotics are safe for a mother and baby in this situation?

Answer:

Mastitis is an inflammation of the breast, and is often treated with antibiotics. Many antibiotics are compatible with breastfeeding. The American Academy of Pediatrics, Committee on Drugs publishes information on the transfer of drugs and other chemicals into human milk. Your physician can use this as a reference. The prescription of medications is outside my scope of practice. I have referred this question to the Ask and Expert Obstetrics and Gynecology. Look

for more information there in a couple of days under penicillin allergy, antibiotics and breastfeeding.

Go to the Newborn and Infant Care health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing