HIV and AIDS

What Herbs Can Strengthen The Immune System?

03/28/1999

Question:

Is there a vitamin, herb, food, or substance that is known to strengthen the immune system naturally?

Answer:

I`m an infectious diseases specialist, not an immunologist so I may not be the best person to ask. However, for most persons who are healthy and do not have documented vitamin deficiencies I am not aware of additional substances that have been documented to improve the immune system. Many people, however, probably eat a diet that is lacking in good nutrition and may have vitamin deficiencies. It is important to try and eat sufficient amounts of fresh fruits and vegetables to take in suggested amounts of vitamins, nutrients and anti-oxidants -- especially important are dark green leafy vegetables. Along with a healthy, balanced diet the immune system is helped by adequate amounts of sleep, light exercise and decreased stress.

Go to the HIV and AIDS health topic, where you can:

Kenneth   Skahan, MD Kenneth Skahan, MD
Assistant Professor in Infectious Diseases