Medication Issues

04/15/1999

Question:

what else can you take besides Ritalin to help you with your ADD problem? I am one of many who has ADD and the medicine never did any good in the past 4 years I took the medicine.And now I have a friend with the same problem and all it did for her was made her mouthy like it did to me.What do you suggest we take?

Answer:

Without appropriate evaluation I can not suggest what you should take. For patients with A.D.D. alone (without other medical problems like depression, anxiety disorder, psychosis, major heart problems, etc.) the choices are several medications including Ritalin, Adderall, dexedrine, Dextrostat, buproprion, pemoline and venlofaxine. Good diet, regular exercise and a regular daily schedule can positively increase the effects of such medication as well.I urge you to see a doctor who knows about A.D.D.. A good evaluation followed by appropriately monitored medicine trials, coaching about dealing with A.D.D., and (when appropriate) counseling are often the treatments of choice.

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine