Dental and Oral Health (Seniors)

Standards of Care in Dentistry

04/26/1999

Question:

Are their standards of care in Geriatric Dentistry? I am trying to help make the decision for a series of tooth extractions my dentist says I need.

How do I know this is necessary.

thanks

Answer:

Standards of Care for tooth extraction in Geriatric Dentistry include but are not limited to: 1. avoiding unnecessary bleeding during extraction of teeth; therefore, limiting the number of extracted teeth to two teeth at one time. 2. prescribing antibiotics for patients with medical conditions such as rheumatic heart disease, mitral valve prolapse with regurgitation, or implanted devices in the body such as artificial joints. 3. consulting the physician regarding discontinuing the use of anticoagulants (blood thinners) two days before extraction and two days after.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Seniors) health topic, where you can:

Abdel Rahim   Mohammad, DDS, MS, MPH, FAAOM, FACD Abdel Rahim Mohammad, DDS, MS, MPH, FAAOM, FACD
Clinical Professor of Geriatrics